Saturday January 18th, 2020 – 08:10 (UK). Sydney Showground Stadium, Sydney.
Weather expected: 21C, but there is a high chance of rain throughout the day, including when play is scheduled .
Who won last time? The previous match between these two squads was 3 weeks ago in December 2019 at the Sydney Cricket Ground where Sydney Sixers won the match with 16 runs from 1 overs. This is the 5th home match this month for Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League and marks the 4th away game for Sydney Sixers.
The two teams from Sydney in the BBL 2019 are set to take on each other yet again. Sydney Sixers are already having a dream run but things haven’t gone too well so far for the Sydney Thunder. They would want to see themselves climbing up the BBL 2019 points table. They are still pretty much in the race for the top four and would love to consolidate their position by winning the game here.
Sydney Thunder Conditions
- Sydney Thunder suffered a huge blow in their quest to make the finals after they were on the end of a shock defeat against the previously winless Melbourne Renegades in a rain-affected contest.
- Despite that disappointing loss, Thunder have not hit the panic button ahead of this all-Sydney affair and have opted to retain the same 13-man squad that they named for the game with the Renegades.
- The Renegades posted 172/4 which was adjusted to a target of 135 from 14 overs due to the inclement weather and despite a quick-fire half-century from Alex Ross, Thunder fell 12 runs short via the D/L method.
Sydney Sixers Conditions
- Sydney Sixers were denied the chance to respond to their big loss to Melbourne Stars as their game with Hobart Hurricanes lasted just over six overs before the weather hit and caused the game to be rained-off.
- The Sixers have made two changes to their squad and it will more than likely result in changes to the starting XI with Nathan Lyon and Mickey Edwards included at the expense of Ben Manenti and Henry Thornton.
- In their limited time at the crease, the Sixers had lost two wickets with Josh Philippe and James Vince falling just four balls apart which left their side at 21/2 but they had started rallying to move to 45/2 before the abandonment.
Pitch and Weather Conditions
The wicket prepared for the game will offer lateral movement for the quick bowlers. The weather forecast for the game is expected to have light rain showers with a fresh breeze.
Sydney Showground Stadium in Sydney is going to host the game between Sydney Sixers and Sydney Thunder. Sydney Sixers will take heart from the fact that they have an excellent head-to-head record against Sixers. However, Sydney Thunder has a decent record at Showground Stadium and managed to win three games out of four played against Sydney Sixers.
Toss: To Bowl
Due to rain expected to play a role in the game, the side that wins the toss would be looking to bowl first and exploit the pitch conditions. Batting second will be best option for both teams for this game.
Sydney Thunder vs Sydney Sixers Winning Prediction
Although it would be a neck to neck battle this time as well, Sixers would still be favorites considering the stupendous form of Daniel Hughes, Josh Philippe, and Tom Curran. Also, they were the dominant side in the previous faceoff against Sydney Thunder, something which can’t be ignored for the coming duel.
Thunder has been heavily reliant on a few players, while it has been a combined effort by the Sixers in getting them past the victory limits.
Our prediction: Sydney 6ers to beat Sydney Thunder by a comfortable margin!