The world community, accustomed to accepting the most popular brands for a single decision, for the most part believes that Texas Hold’em is the only kind of poker. In fact, this is not so, and in this article we will talk about what other types of poker are popular. Our team will show some specific of poker games.
Best Poker Sites
All varieties of poker games are not globally different because one set of cards and key combinations are used everywhere. In this case, the specific rules and conditions for the game vary and sometimes significantly.
Types of poker games are distinguished by limits:
- Limited poker. There is a strict rate limit. Players can’t even a cent deviate from the size of bets accepted in the rules of a particular game. This requires the most in-depth calculation of each combination from the mathematical side, so that the restrictions don’t introduce the player at a loss. In the era of the development of electronic technologies, most of the calculations are transferred to robots acting as players at the tables. Limited types of poker could be often won by programs with impeccable mathematical logic, but are not subject to psychological components. However, all poker rooms prohibit the use of AI for working at tables.
- Pot-limited. If I may say so, semi-unlimited poker. The constant review of the maximum rate on each round of betting could be change. The size of the bet from one player can’t exceed the total size of the pot at each stage. In this kind of poker, the possibilities of players are much wider, as well as the use of psychological techniques, while the mathematical miscalculation doesn’t disappear anywhere and the expectation from each hand after the flop opens should be positive. Here, the ability to play postflop is more important, in view of the fact that it determines the type of completion of the distribution.
- Unlimited. There are no restrictions on the size of bets, except for the volume of the stack. Buying chips or money in the process of distribution or tournament is prohibited in all types of games and unlimited type of poker game is no exception. The largest tournaments and the entire world series are built precisely on the unlimited form of poker, which allows players to use the maximum of their capabilities and arsenal of tactics and techniques to win.
Their difference is possible by the rules. Consider the main types of poker in descending order of popularity in the world:
- Texas Hold’em. The most popular in the world, having their own varieties and rules of poker. At the same time, it’s just over 40 years old. The universality of the rules and a wide range of opportunities for players, together with its active promotion not only by the tournament organizers but also by numerous poker rooms and other companies involved in poker life, made Hold’em the most popular.
- Omaha. Varieties and rules of Omaha poker imply placing all the same 5 cards on the table, and 4 cards are dealt to the player in his hands, instead of 2 in Hold’em. In this case, the combination is made according to the standard rules for the direction, that is, only three board cards and two on hand. Varieties of Omaha poker – Courchevel and Five-Card Omaha have characteristic differences from the main type, but are used as special games.
- Stud. It has no common board cards and the combination is collected only from hand cards. Types of Stud poker are five and seven-card, also in some types some of the players’ cards remain open, for opponents to assess the situation.
- Draw. Hold ’em predecessor in popularity, retired. It doesn’t have cards on the board; it provides for the possibility of exchanging inconvenient cards for those who have not left the deck with the dealer in three circles. There are no cards open for opponents, in principle, regardless of variety.
- Horse. Tournament subcategory, requiring maximum concentration and serious preparation from the participants, since it includes all the above types of poker.
- Fast poker. A variation for playing games online at the poker room terminal. Limits players in the time of decision making, which speeds up the number of hands to 4 times in comparison with the game at the table.
- Russian poker. The first and main feature is the struggle for the bank not between the players, but between the player and the dealer. The second feature is the ability to collect a “long” combination of 6 cards, which has its own separate payout ratio, for example, a long straight of 6 cards.
- Caribbean poker. Traditional 5 casino card poker with an exchange against the casino. It can be with paid and free exchanges and a lot of different nuances.
- Chinese poker. A rather exotic representative for the Russian-speaking part of the world, offering players to form a combination of 13 cards dealt to their hands. Exchanges are not provided in principle.
What type of poker to choose?
Quite often, a novice player faces a dilemma – which poker discipline to choose. In search of type of poker, a beginner often changes one type of poker for another. Obviously, this behavior greatly inhibits the development, because instead of focusing on learning something specific, the player is wasting his energy. In this article we will consider the main pros and cons of each type of poker. By comparing all the pros and cons, you can make an informed choice that you will not have to regret in the future.
Poker disciplines are divided into two types: cash games and tournament poker. At cache tables, the blind size always remains the same, you can add chips to your stack at any time (in unlimited poker there are restrictions on the maximum amount that you can take with you to the table). In tournament poker, the blinds gradually increase, and having lost your stack, you stop fighting (with the exception of tournaments, which provide for the possibility of buying chips).
Unlimited cash games
The most popular discipline at the moment. In any poker room, at any time of the day you can find enough tables to play unlimited hold’em. Many television shows attract a large number of weak players. The ability to make bets of any size allows you to effectively protect your finished combination, using bluffing for the same reason also often brings the desired result. All these are the main advantages of unlimited poker.
What about the flaws? Your rivals also have the opportunity to make big bets, and this greatly complicates the game in some situations, the cost of each individual error is high. It is possible to lose the entire stack in one hand, while playing much better than the opponent. Several such lesions in a row can significantly undermine emotional stability.
Fixed Rate Hold’em
The main advantages of this type of poker: a limit on the size of bets and the number of possible increases minimize the risk of losing a large amount in one hand and reduce the price of errors. Limit poker allows you to develop a clear and mathematically sound strategy that will make a profit over a long distance. Weak players in view of the ability to reach the showdown stage relatively cheaply tend to overestimate the strength of their combinations, which brings additional wins. The lack of fear of losing a large sum has a positive effect on the game of novice poker players. The dynamics of the game will not let you get bored during the game session.
The disadvantages include difficulties that arise when defending ready-made hands and poor bluffing effectiveness. Often, draws in which three or more opponents participate take place by opening the cards, which significantly increases the variance, that is, in order for the expected results to coincide with the actual ones, you need to play a large number of hands. A large rake is the commission that a poker site charges on each hand. Fixed-rate hold’em is less popular, so in small poker rooms it is difficult to find good tables for the game.
A feature of these tournaments is that they begin as soon as the required number of participants is registered. Sit-and-Go tournaments are of two types: single-table (2, 6 or 9-10 participants) and multi-table (MTSNG, the game is played on two or more tables). The advantages of these tournaments are as follows: a basic strategy for a profitable game that is simple enough to learn. The main part of important decisions in the crucial stages of the tournament has to be made preflop, which protects against the possibility of making a mistake in later rounds of betting. Weak opponents by their actions make it easier for you to get into prizes, knocking each other out in the early stages of the tournament. Taking first place in Sit-and-Go brings tangible profits.
The disadvantages include the following factors: the frequent need to declare all-in with fairly weak cards, caused by the rapid growth of the blinds. For this reason, the variance in Sit-and-Go is very high. Inability to choose your opponents – you cannot take a comfortable position at the table regarding a relatively weak player or constantly avoid confrontation with a strong opponent. A game in which the most profitable strategy is to declare an all-in preflop quickly bored.
Multi Table Tournaments
It is generally accepted that MTT is the poker top. And this is not surprising, because the most prestigious WSOP poker tournament is the competition with the largest cash prize for first place in the world, bypassing even such an extremely popular tournament like tennis Wimbledon in this respect. The main advantage of MTT is the super profit, which can be obtained by hitting the final table of the tournament, and the first place won can bring thousands and tens of thousands of dollars.
But MTT has a lot of difficulties. All tournaments start at a strictly defined time, so for a regular game you will have to significantly restructure your schedule. Each tournament can last a very long time, up to 8-10 hours, it is very difficult to maintain full concentration for such a long time. After spending a large amount of time playing the game, you can leave the tournament at any time without getting into the prize zone. Due to the high dispersion, a solid bankroll, at least 100 buy-ins, is necessary for a permanent game in MTT, that is, having $ 500 in your account, you should play tournaments with a contribution of no more than $ 5.
Even the strongest world professionals regularly come across black stripes a month or more in length. A player who devotes a lot of time to studying theory and directly to the game, but who does not receive material returns from this, may suffer from a morale and self-confidence.
Whatever poker path you choose, remember that the game should be fun. You will not be able to achieve positive results if, in the pursuit of estimated profits, you start playing poker discipline, which you don’t like.
What is the best poker playing style?
Aggressive play is very important, it is almost always considered the best solution. A good solid strategy of tight and aggressive play is usually rewarded with profit. There are experienced players who have successfully adapted a loose-aggressive style in the game. However, for most players, a tight-aggressive approach is usually the most profitable. This style is undoubtedly the best way for beginners, as it accustoms to good habits such as patience and discipline. A tight-aggressive approach also works well as a “default position” and, often, players acquire a strong base of skills, starting to play this style.
In the end, you must choose the style that is not only the most profitable for you, but also the most suitable. In many ways, the style of playing at the poker table is determined by your personality outside the table. Some people can play in a manner unusual for them in ordinary life, but most will return to their usual type. Therefore, the best advice you can give is to determine what works in your case, as well as gain experience.
It is important to note that the best players tailor their style to their opponents and circumstances. If you play at a table full of tight players, then you should be free, and if you play with aggressors, then a tight game will be the most effective strategy.
Always watch the game and the actions of opponents, and also, if necessary, adapt your style of play. This is exactly what good poker players do.
Becoming a professional player is not limited to studying one direction of the game. In each of the presented varieties there are little things that can facilitate the work in the chosen direction. The restrictions imposed by the rules of the game must be taken as an additional tool for influencing opponents, and not the cause of defeat or mistakes. To help with all of the above, there will be masses of literature from poker gurus of all types, representing only their own achievements and experience without tinsel, but also without psychological experiences that often interfere with the game.