HORSE is a popular discipline primarily played by those who have already tried everything in poker. Well, or almost everything! This is due to the fact that this game requires knowledge and skills in almost all types of poker: Texas Hold’em, Omaha, Razz, 7-Card Stud and 8 or Better. Nevertheless, knowing the rules of these variations alone is not enough to start playing HORSE, so in this article we will consider all the features and aspects of this direction. So make yourself comfortable – it will be interesting!
Best HORSE Poker sites:
Initially, the game appeared in poker clubs and casinos. Here, more experienced players began to agree among themselves on alternately playing different types of poker. Thus, playing poker has become even more interesting and dynamic. The popularization of this type of poker like HORSE fully came at the 2006 World Series of Poker festival. Then the organizers of the series for the first time launched a special tournament on Horse worth $ 50 thousand.
But that was the whole thing – thus, only the best of the best who could afford such a sum got to the HORSE event. In total, about 140 registrations were recorded, including poker stars such as Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey, Patrick Antonius and others. The poker community still remember the final of the event – David Chip Reese, who defeated Andy Block during a 7-hour heads-up, won the final victory. If you suddenly missed it – we strongly recommend you to watch it!
In addition to the World Series, HORSE events are included in the schedule of the largest series around the world, and this indicates a lot. Online poker rooms are no exception, in the lobby of which you can find this discipline under the same name “HORSE”. A prime example is the famous WCOOP series at PokerStars . By the way, the abbreviation itself is abbreviated, and consists of the following notation:
- H – Hold’em.
- O – Omaha Hi-Lo.
- R – Razz.
- S – Stud.
- E – Eight or Better (7-Card Stud Hi-Lo).
Information for beginners: what is horse poker
Whoever first heard of poker horse can learn from what is written below. Horse poker and its rules are nothing unusual.
This is not new invented game. To put it in the language of sports commentators: card all-around, represented by five well-known poker games. To participate in such a competition, you need to learn poker in various variations. Knowing how to play horse poker, you can achieve good results, test yourself in poker tournaments.
Although the poker direction is a different variation of poker, which is subject to the relevant rules, there are a number of features that you need to know before the game. Here are the main ones:
- In the initial bets (Hold’em and Omaha) blinds are made, while in all the rest – antes. Thus, after setting the blinds in the first two rounds, the button chip stops, and then the antes go. All this is done so that none of the participants misses their blinds.
- When switching to Texas Hold’em, the poker player on which the chip stopped is the first to put the blinds. In fact, each participant will have to make a mandatory bet
- HORSES is played exclusively with a fixed limit. In rare cases, it can be different – when experienced pros play at the table.
According to the HORSE rules, there are several options for switching from one type of poker to another:
- By distribution. For example, a new discipline is played after every eighth distribution (more suitable for beginners). Or a new look in each new distribution.
- By time. As soon as the timer reaches the end, a signal sounds, and the participants move into a new game. Of course, only after the end of the current round.
Top 5 Tips
Specifically, training articles and materials in this area on the Internet are few. This is because each poker pro plays mixed games, which includes HORSE, in its own way. Therefore, if in the future you want to test your strengths and skills in this discipline, it is advisable to develop a strategy individually. First, you are required to hone your skills, as they say, on all fronts – in Hold’em, Omaha, Razz and Stud. By the way, you will find a lot of useful information on our website. Find your weaknesses, work on the main mistakes, get more practice to at least play with your opponents on an equal footing. Experienced poker players recommend listening to the following tips:
- At first, play carefully, while not bluffing and playing only strong hands.
- Learn to quickly switch from one discipline to another.
- Follow the behavior of each opponent at all stages of the game.
- Do not respond to aggression, in particular after the transition.
- Improve your skill / strategy.
Learn About Horse Poker
The popularity of horse poker was brought by the inclusion of it as an independent species in the 2006 World Poker Championship. The complexity of the chorus is the following: the participant must be well versed in the intricacies of all individual games from this five. To apply for participation in Horse Poker, it means perfectly knowing the rules, and talentedly foresee all possible combinations. Weak knowledge of at least one position will not allow the player to create an effective game. Therefore, there are no amateurs in horseback. Tournaments are attended by participants only with professional skills.
In order for a novice to get a little closer to understanding: what kind of game is this, you should consider the rules of playing in a poker horse.
The action begins and goes in a circle. One round ends, followed by the second, and so on, until all five varieties of card poker are played. The round begins with Holdem, ends with Eight-or-better.
- Hold’em – referred to as Texas Hold’em, is a traditional card game. The player’s task is to collect a combination of five cards. The player receives a pair of cards in the dark. The dealer opens five community cards, three of which must be used by the participant in the round. As a result of the game, the winner is the one who collects the oldest combination.
- Omaha – or Omaha Hi-Lo, a game where combinations of high and low cards win. The player is dealt 4 cards hidden from his opponents, but he can only use two. The dealer puts out five community cards, while the player has the right to use only three cards in his combination. The bank is divided into two parts, one of which is taken by the player with the highest combination. The other part is taken by the player with the lowest combination. The youngest combination is 5, 4, 3, 2, A. The ace in this case is the youngest card.
- Razz is a game where the main task is to make the smallest combination. The player receives three cards: two blindly and one openly, and the dealer, having dealt four community cards, reveals them, one by one, during the competition.
- Stud is a seven-card variation of poker. The development of the game, Razz repeats, only a combination of high cards is considered to be winning here.
- Stud Hi-Lo is another variation of seven card poker that matches Stud. Winning is shared by players who have collected the oldest and youngest combinations.
Combined poker game – exciting entertainment. It is not for nothing that it is believed that you can reach the prize places only by correctly applying poker horse strategies. It is important to follow the opponent, noting periods of his activity and passivity. Games in psychology, physiognomy – these are the most working horse poker strategies.
HORSE – the best option for those who plan to improve their poker skills. Using this direction, you can significantly improve your skills as a player, as well as “tighten up” your knowledge in individual disciplines. In addition, getting proper practice at the HORSE online tables will take much less time to search for a game with weak players, because then you will feel like a specialist in almost all poker games. This is a fundamentally new approach to poker, which is suitable for the most experienced poker players who want to get not only new feelings, but also reach a stable income.