On January 2 2020, 7:00 PM ET. Keybank Center, Cleveland. The Edmonton Oilers and Buffalo Sabres meet Thursday in NHL action. Who will win this battle? – read in our predictions.
Edmonton Oilers 21-17-4 (20-22 ATS)
The Edmonton Oilers need a win after losing seven of their last 10 games. The Edmonton Oilers are averaging 2.9 goals per game and are scoring on 33.3 percent of their power play opportunities. Leon Draisaitl leads Edmonton with 23 goals, Connor McDavid has 42 assists and James Neal has 93 shots on goal. Defensively, the Edmonton Oilers are allowing 3.2 goals per game and are killing 83.2 percent of their opponents power plays. Mike Smith has given up 55 goals on 513 shots faced and Mikko Koskinen has allowed 70 goals on 793 shots. The Edmonton Oilers have allowed a combined 14 goals in their last three games.
Buffalo Sabres 17-17-7 (24-17 ATS)
The Buffalo Sabres need a win after losing seven of their last eight games. The Buffalo Sabres are averaging 2.9 goals per game and are scoring on 18.2 percent of their power play opportunities. Jack Eichel leads Buffalo with 25 goals, Rasmus Dahlin has 19 assists and Sam Reinhart has 82 shots on goal. Defensively, the Buffalo Sabres are allowing 3.1 goals per game and are killing 74.4 percent of their opponents power plays. Carter Hutton has given up 52 goals on 492 shots faced and Linus Ullmark has allowed 72 goals on 793 shots. The Buffalo Sabres have allowed three or more goals in eight of their last nine games.
- The Oilers are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. Eastern Conference, 1-7 in their last 8 games playing on 1 days rest and 3-8 in their last 11 overall.
- The Sabres are 4-0 in their last 4 vs. Western Conference, 5-2 in their last 7 home games and 7-3 in their last 10 games as a home favorite.
- The over is 3-0-2 in Oilers last 5 overall. The under is 4-1 in Sabres last 5 overall.
- The Oilers are 2-5 in the last 7 meetings.
- The underdog is 7-0 in the last 7 meetings.
- The under is 7-3-2 in the last 12 meetings in Buffalo.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Buffalo’s last 5 games.
- Buffalo are 1-7 SU in their last 8 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Buffalo’s last 7 games at home.
- Buffalo are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games when playing at home against Edmonton.
- Buffalo are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Buffalo’s last 6 games against an opponent in the West conference.
Edmonton Oilers Predictions
- Edmonton are 3-8 SU in their last 11 games.
- Edmonton are 2-5 SU in their last 7 games against Buffalo.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Edmonton’s last 6 games on the road.
- Edmonton are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Buffalo.
- Edmonton are 3-7 SU in their last 10 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Edmonton’s last 5 games against an opponent in the East conference.
- Buffalo Sabres: Vladimir Sobotka, Jeff Skinner.
- Edmonton Oilers Predictions: Matt Benning.
Buffalo Sabres vs. Edmonton Oilers Predictions
The Buffalo Sabers are certainly playing some of their worst hockey of the season, and the Edmonton Oilers, who have had similar play to the Buffalo Sabers, look to be back on track after their last game. Both teams have a star on the season, with the Oilers’ McDavid and the Sabers’ Eichel. However, I do think that Edmonton has a better superstar, and they look to be back on track as one of the best teams in the NHL. Final Score Prediction, Edmonton Oilers 5-3.
- Moneyline picks: Edmonton Will Win +110
- Against the Spread Pick: Buffalo Sabres +6.0 Point Spread -130
- Over Under Pick: Under 6.0 Game Totals